Sunday, 6 September 2026

The 2 Halves of a Traditional Dorm Room

Hans chose to share a room with a stranger and share washrooms with many other never-met-before people!

Both Hans and his roommate were supposed to move in at 9:30 am on August 29th. We got there at 8:30 am and were allowed to move in. Hans and I quickly unpacked his stuff; made his bed; put the “mom” suitcase in the closet; and went out for breakfast. The roommate got stuck in the line-up of cars and moved in a couple of hours later. When Hans and I got back, he was unpacking with his parents. Everything was neatly organized and the mom was on top of everything.

Hans’ roommate is an only child and it all made sense.

I couldn’t take a picture of the other half of the room. But this is how I described it to Manda, my friend, who wanted to hear all about it. I told her that Hans’ side looked so bare, like a truckers’ motel accommodations (no offense to truckers or motels), and the other half looked like a room in a 5-star hotel!

I felt a bit terrible about not putting in an effort, but that’s how Hans wanted it and that’s what he got - bare minimum!

Hans came home 2 days ago. We were with my parents, and they wanted to hear everything about his roommate and how things were in residence. I quickly recapped my brief interaction with the other boy’s parents and gushed about how their son had everything. And I did this in the language we share, which Hans can’t quite comprehend. So, it was truly hilarious when he started off by saying how his roommate asked him for a facial tissue and Hans told him to take one whenever he needed it!

The boy who seemed to have everything still had to ask for something. I felt like there was a lesson to be learnt from that!


No comments:

Post a Comment