Friday, 7 August 2026

The Fastest Addendum

It was barely an hour ago that I posted my thoughts on Death. Minutes later, I realized that I was inspired, in part, by something I witnessed and wanted to include … and then, I got caught up in my drama and forgot all about it!

Right after my brekkie with Manda, she dropped me off at Fairview Mall so I could join Hans in a line-up in front of EB Games. It was the release of another pack of Pokémon cards and Hans desperately wanted a particular card. Before he left earlier in the day, he talked about how some families show up together and how each member could buy a pack and increase their odds of getting those elusive collector cards. So, I told him that I would meet up with him after my breakfast with my friend and we could at least double his chances.

When I messaged Hans to let him know I was on my way, he immediately was concerned that people might object to my joining him. They had all been waiting for an hour and a half or so, and the store was minutes from opening. I told him to not worry about that. How could anyone deny a mother from joining her son? So, I was able to just walk over to him and become a part of the line-up.

There were parents with strollers and there were people with chairs. The one person I did not notice right away and only saw as he got to the cashier was a man in an electric wheelchair. There was an oxygen tank at the back and other attachments. This man looked just as happy as everyone else did when he received his pack. It put a smile on my face.

Later, Hans and I had some time to talk as he finally got his breakfast from McD’s. I told him that when ASid and Hans were little, I would tell them to not get into situations based on dares. I would caution them that it is the worst when they can’t talk or walk or not be able to do something else because they decided to jump off a cliff on a dare. I might have even said that death was better than being in a wheelchair for the rest of their lives.

I told Hans that I would like to retract my statements from that time.

As a Special Education teacher, I have experienced all sorts of needs. I have seen parents be brave for their children; fight for their children and never lose hope for their children. I know a parent whose firstborn twins were both diagnosed with Autism, and she has become an inspiration for me. And all my experiences with special needs students helped me find a new perspective on life.

I was glad I was able to share that with Hans today. As a parent, I can only do what I can with what I have been given. And I have been given two beautiful boys. I want them to never ever stop living.


No comments:

Post a Comment