Thursday, 13 August 2026

The Next 5 Years

Today, I spent a considerable amount of time with Hans. I won’t go into all the details, but I want to share an excerpt from one of our conversations.

Hans wanted to know what I will be doing 5 years from now. A standard question that is sometimes asked in interviews - Where do you see yourself in 5 years? I was surprised and a lot of thoughts floated through my head.

 

Is this child of mine worried about me?!

Perhaps, he is simply curious?!

Do I know what I will be doing then?!

Then, I just decided to answer it as honestly as possible. I told him that I would be focussed on work for the next 3 years, and after that I may take some time off to do some writing. I also felt the need to state that I am not looking for companionship in a conventional sense. It was important for Hans to know that my life is good and not lacking in any way.

At one point, as I rambled through my response, I looked at my child and got emotional. It has just been Hans and me for nearly 4 years. I am going to miss him for sure when he leaves on the 29th, and it hit me that he is thinking about that as well in his own way. Oh, wow!


No comments:

Post a Comment